Team, ÖFB-Samsung-Cup

0:1 v Admira: Disappointing defeat in Cup quarter final

Zoran Barisic elected to go with the same starting line-up for the last-eight Cup clash with Admira Wacker that had done such a good job last time out against WAC. The only change to the match day squad was the return from suspension of Steffen Hofmann, who took a place amongst the substitutes. Rapid were looking to re-conjure a performance similar to that delivered in the second half against Wolfsberg as they sought to book a place in the semi-finals of the ÖFB-Cup.

The early signs were good: Philipp Schobesberger burst through on goal after being played in by Matej Jelic, but the pacey forward was unable to beat Admira keeper Siebenhandl on this occasion (12.). A dangerous Flo Kainz free kick then found its way into the side netting (15.), before Rapid had a golden chance to forge ahead: Siebenhandl got involved in a messy scrap with Jelic whilst competing for a high ball, with the referee deciding to award the Hütteldorfers a penalty. Stefan Schwab stepped up but was denied by the Admira goalie who earned himself some immediate redemption (26.). The balance of the game began to turn following the penalty miss, with Admira taking confidence and looking to assert themselves as an attacking force. Wostry tested Richard Strebinger following a swift counter-attacking move, as Admira finally registered a note-worthy effort on goal (32.). Nonetheless it was the Green & Whites who continued to boss proceedings, and they could have gone ahead before the break when Stefan Nutz latched onto a deflected Matej Jelic shot, only for desperate Admira defending to see the danger off and ensure that half time came with the deadlock still intact.

Zoran Barisic's side came out a determined outfit for the start of the second half, and promptly began looking to get at the Mödling back-line once more. This time it was Mario Pavelic who went on a marauding run, finding himself in a similar position to that from which he scored against WAC on the weekend, only this time he couldn’t find a finish to beat Siebenhandl (52.). Admira though had also gained some confidence from their first half endeavours, and Zwierschitz gave Rapid a hearts in the mouth moment when his stinging effort from inside the penalty area went just wide (57.). Schobesberger then dribbled himself into a good shooting opportunity, but his effort lacked the necessary power to trouble the in-form Siebenhandl (62.). Admira continued to defend in numbers, with weight of bodies ensuring that the South City side’s defence managed to repel Jelic’s goal bound header (74.). Steffen Hofmann came off the bench and with little over ten minutes to go, thought he had won it for his side: an expert free-kick from the Rapid skipper finally beat Siebenhandl, but crashed back off the crossbar to Philipp Schobesberger, who failed to get the ball under control (77.).

Shortly before the end Admira snatched a smash and grab victory: a ball into the box led to absolute chaos in front of Richard Strebinger, and with Rapid unable to clear their lines ex-player Lukas Grozurek stabbed the ball home to see his side into the semi-finals (87.). Thanos Petsos had one final sight of goal but could'’t convert, meaning that Rapid’s long wait to once more taste success in the ÖFB-Cup will go on for at least another season.


SK Rapid Wien - FC Admira Wacker 0:1 (0:0)
Ernst-Happel-Stadion, 6.200 Attendance, Referee Jäger

Goal: 0:1 Grozurek (87.);

SK Rapid: Strebinger - Pavelic, Sonnleitner, M. Hofmann, Stangl - Petsos, Schwab (87./Prosenik) - Schobesberger, Nutz (66./S. Hofmann), F. Kainz (90./Murg) - Jelic;

Admira: Siebenhandl - Zwierschitz, Schößwendter, Wostry, Wessely - Lackner, Ebner - Bajrami, Malicsek (46./Grozurek), Ayyildiz (69./Spiridonovic) - Starkl (91./Posch);

Yellow Card: Schwab;

Y/R Card: Schößwendter;